Hey bro, it’s me again, Alex. Click here if you would like to know what “Skinny-Vinny” suggests we do in order to get bigger thighs. I’m sure you targeted your pecs first or your arm but sooner or later we will be focusing our exercises on our legs and thighs.
Our legs consist of three groups of muscles: the frontal thigh muscles, otherwise known as the quadriceps, the thigh “biceps” on the back of the upper leg, and the calves on the back of the lower leg. In order to get bigger thighs, you can do certain types of exercises.
In the majority of people, the legs account for roughly two-thirds of the body’s weight. You might think the torso would account for a larger portion of the weight, but it is hollow, and while it contains organs, it also contains lots of empty space with nothing but air in it.
How to Get Bigger Thighs
The legs, on the other hand, are solid muscle. Since the leg muscles are relatively massive, the legs, and especially the thighs, are going to require quite a bit of exercise if you want them to grow larger.
Poring over the greatest volume of bodybuilding knowledge anywhere, Keys to the Inner Universe, the reader will find fifty whole pages devoted solely to developing and defining the thighs. This book explains and demonstrates more than a hundred and fifty exercises for the thighs alone. The author, Bill Pearl, knew what he was doing. After all, he was a four-time Mr. Universe.
It is generally agreed that the most effective exercise for developing bigger thighs is the squat. This also tends to be the exercise most avoided by many casual bodybuilders, because it takes a lot of exertion to do it. Squats can be performed with barbells, which are preferred, or with devices such as the weight-loaded Smith machine, which is less preferred.
Squats can be executed with the weights on the shoulders, or with the weights held at chest level in front of you. They may be done either flat-footed or with the heels raised about two inches from the floor. No matter which way you choose to do squats, the legs should never be “locked out” when they are in the straight position, or the tension will be off the muscles, and in rare cases, this may actually cause fainting.
A bench can be used for one sort of squat, so you will be able to gauge just how far down you should go, or you can just go until you kick yourself in the behind, so to speak. How your knees are aimed and how far apart your feet are spread will determine which part of the thighs – inner, outer, or upper – you work.
For purposes of building bigger thighs, there is a variety of squats which should be performed in 3 sets of ten reps each.
- Barbell Squat – Utilizing an Olympic bar and weights with a squat rack, raise your heels and squat until your thighs are parallel to the floor. Be sure you use enough weight that you have to try hard to reach ten reps.
- Barbell Squat Wide Stance – With your heels off the floor and legs spread fairly wide apart, squat with your knees pointed outward to work the inner thigh.
- Hack Squat – With your heels elevated and the barbell held behind your buttocks, squat until the weights almost touch the floor.
- Leg Press Machine – Seated in the machine, simply the placement of your feet on the foot rests will determine which part of your thighs you work; upper, outer, or inner. Pretty simple, isn’t it?
- Decline Leg Press Machine – Seated in the machine, again, mere foot placements determines which part of the thigh you work. The gluteus maximus (buttocks) also get worked if you go deep enough.
- Using either a cable-and-pulley machine with ankle straps or a thigh curl machine, do curls to build the thigh biceps muscles, known as the hamstrings.
Abductor and Adductor Machines
- To work the hip flexors and inner thighs, use these machines. Developing these muscles is vital to the overall appearance of your thighs. If these machines are not available, you can use a cable-and-pulley machine.
- To build the rear thigh muscles, including the gluteus, this exercise is great. Dumbbell lunges are also very good for lower body flexibility and the hips.